Apex AP Pro Regent Massage Chair
Ease of Use
Overall Massage Quality
Value for the Money
Packed with some of the latest and most innovative technology, the Apex AP Pro Regent delivers one of the highest quality massages on the market. 4D massage, exclusive techniques, and precise movements make this chair a great option for an authentic and effective massage.
- 1 Features on the Apex AP Pro Regent Massage Chair
- 2 Massage Techniques and Programs on the Apex AP Pro Regent Massage Chair
- 3 Manual Options on the Apex AP Pro Regent Massage Chair
- 4 What You Won’t Find on the Apex Ap Pro Regent
- 5 Color Variants of Apex AP Pro Regent Massage Chair
- 6 Pros and Cons Of Apex AP Pro Regent Massage Chair
- 7 Apex AP Pro Regent Massage Chair Specifications
- 8 Final Thoughts on Apex AP Pro Regent Review
Brought to you by the same company who produces Titan and Osaki massage chairs, the Apex brand is introducing a new set of features to the market. Apex’s flagship massage chair, the AP Pro Regent, is the summation of the company’s latest technological advances.
Featuring 4D massage, real body sensing, and a wide variety of massage techniques, the Pro Regent offers some of the finest features available. In this Apex AP Pro Regent review, we’re taking an in-depth look at all of the features, plus learning what you won’t find on this model.
Features on the Apex AP Pro Regent Massage Chair
4D Massage System
One of the most compelling features offered on the Apex AP Pro Regent is its 4D massage system.
So how does 4D massage work?
Let’s start with the basics of dimensional movement. 2D, 3D, and 4D each represent the number of dimensional massage movements available. So, 2D has two-dimensional movements, 3D has three, and 4D has four.
Chairs that feature 2D provide massage in two-dimensional movements: vertical (up and down) and width (side to side).
Chairs that feature 3D provide massage in three-dimensional movements: vertical, width and depth (penetrating pressure).
Takeshi Kozai, Director at JHT Osaka Research and Development Center, describes it like this...
“A massage therapist working in 2D kneads the surface of the body; a massage therapist working in 3D kneads the surface of the body and applies penetrating pressure.”
And that’s where most massage chairs stop. But Apex has taken the massage system on the AP Pro Regent a step further with 4D.
“There is a big difference between mechanical movements and massage from a therapist. A massage therapist uses the sensitivity of their hands to the guide their rhythm — allowing speed and intensity to constantly change during the session,” says Kozai.
In an attempt to create a more realistic massage, Apex introduced a fourth-dimensional movement: rhythm. With the addition of rhythm, the Apex AP Pro massage chair changes in speed and intensity — sometimes moving fast to slow, others times slow to fast, creating a lifelike experience.
Together, the four-dimensional movements offered on the Apex AP Pro massage chair are vertical, width, depth, and rhythm.
Real Body Sensing
The Apex AP Pro Regent features real body sensing technology that uses optical sensors and advanced computing technology to detect your body’s shape, curve and even the hard-to-find points other massage chairs can’t interpret like around your shoulder blades.
After the real body sensing has gathered the data it needs, the Apex AP Pro Regent auto-adjusts the massage to be contoured to your unique body. This allows the rollers to define and bypass your shoulder blades and other bones to apply pressure to the correct areas of your neck and back, and even along the narrow strip of muscle from your neck to the top of your shoulder.
According to the University of Rochester Medical Center, “Heat opens the blood vessels, increasing blood flow that supplies oxygen and vital nutrients to the joints to reduce pain and relax sore muscles. Heat can also decrease spasms and increase your range of motion.”
Unlike on most massage chairs where heat therapy is offered on the upper back or lower back, the Apex AP Pro Regent features heat therapy in the foot portion of the ottoman. Also, in the backrest, and across the front of the body, thanks to its one-of-a-kind heating blanket.
The heating blanket lays over the shoulders, chest and across the abdomen to provide radiant warmth, plus pockets at the bottom allow you to warm your hands, helping the muscles in the front as well as the back of your body to relax.
Covering more surface area than the majority of massage chairs on the market, it’s tough to beat the Apex Pro AP Regent when it comes to heat therapy.
Pivoting Arm Massagers
On many massage chairs, when you recline, the armrests stay in the same position. The problem with stagnant armrests is that your arms change location in relationship to them as you recline. So, if you want to enjoy an arm massage on a chair with stagnant armrests, it’s best to do it in the upright position to ensure it's treating the correct areas.
The Apex AP Pro Regent addresses this problem with the addition of pivoting armrests that move with you as you recline. This ensures that you can enjoy an arm massage from any position in the chair.
Adjustable Fold-Away Ottoman
The Apex AP Pro Regent massage chair features an adjustable ottoman that lets you customize the fit to your leg length. Simply push out with your feet until you reach the desired length. The ottoman extends an additional 6.25 inches, accommodating users up to 6 feet 4 inches tall.
Two quick keypads located on the armrests on the Apex AP Pro Regent make it easy to make adjustments and choose massage programs without having to use the remote. With the keypad on right armrest, you can adjust your position in the chair, cycle through massage programs, or select the deep spot function. With the keypad on the left armrest, you can control massage strength and airbag intensity.
This feature is unique to the Apex AP Pro Regent massage chair.
Let’s say you spent a lot of time figuring out the best combination of massage styles and settings to fit your specific needs. On most massage chairs, to enjoy that massage again, you’d have to remember the exact settings and reselect them each time.
On the Apex AP Pro Regent massage chair, however, when you find a massage combination that you love, you can select to save it using the memory settings. The memory settings can save up to three combinations, making them available to you each time you use the chair with the push of a button.
Headphone Jack and MP3-Port with Built-In Speakers
Located on the left-hand quick keypad, an MP3-port lets you plug in your phone or MP3-compatible device. Select your favorite music and store your device in the designated compartment located next to the keypad.
Then, relax to your favorite music delivered via the chair’s built-in speakers located in the headrest, next to your ears.
Or, if you want to listen to music but don’t want it to play out loud through the speakers, you can plug in headphones to the jack located on the keypad.
Next Generation Air Massage and Pulse System
The Apex AP Pro Regent massage chair features 31 airbags strategically placed to provide head-to-toe treatment. Although 31 may not seem like a lot compared to other chairs, the Apex AP Pro Regent’s airbags have been redesigned to increase their surface are.
This means requiring fewer airbags to provide the same quality of massage. The redesign also reduces noise and power consumption, making the chair more mechanically sound overall.
The pulse air massage system on the Apex AP Pro Regent uses the airbags to provide compression massage to the body — pulsing between pressure and release — to improve circulation.
Easy-to-Use Handheld Remote
On the Apex AP Pro Regent, an easy-to-use remote lets you control all of the functions of the chair while a bright screen shows you all of the active programs. Make manual mode selections, choose a preset program, use the memory setting or make massage adjustments — all with the push of a button.
The remote is wider than a lot of handheld remotes, but the benefit of its size is that most of the functions have their own button. So, instead of having a single button for a few different functions which causes you to push it over and over to cycle through settings, you can press the button once.
Massage Techniques and Programs on the Apex AP Pro Regent Massage Chair
Outfitted with some of the most advanced techniques available, the Apex AP Pro Regent delivers a massage that many other chairs just can’t. There are nine massage techniques, including:
- Rhythm taping
- Kneading and tapping
- Sideways kneading
- Up-down kneading
Let’s take a closer look at some of the standout massage features available with these techniques.
- Sideways Kneading. A technique exclusive to the Apex AP Pro Regent, sideways kneading allows the chair to massage around the shoulder blades, bypassing the bones in the upper back.
- Neck and Shoulder Pressure. On the Apex AP Pro Regent, the massage rollers squeeze and grab the back of the neck before rolling up and down the neck and applying pressure to the trapezius — the muscles covering the neck, shoulder and shoulder blades.
- Lumbar and Buttocks Massage. Using a combination or air massage and rollers, the Apex AP Pro Regent delivers compression to glutes and a kneading massage to the lower back.
The diversity of techniques and accuracy of the massage rollers allows the Apex AP Pro Regent to execute massage similarly to how a massage therapist would. In fact, the Apex AP Pro Regent can perform meticulous massage movements within a 1.8mm range — one of highest levels of precision available.
In addition to its accuracy, the Apex AP Pro Regent’s massage rollers can protrude up to 9 cm into the neck and back, delivering a real deep tissue massage.
Featuring 11 preset programs, the Apex AP Pro Regent offers a wide variety of massage styles to choose from, including:
- Refresh. Using light tapping, Refresh delivers an invigorating massage from the neck to the lower back.
- Relax. Intended to provide deep relaxation to the muscles, Relax uses kneading and rubbing to massage from the neck to the lower back.
- Shiatsu. Using shiatsu movements, the Shiatsu program eases muscle stiffness in the neck and back.
- Morning. Delivering an energizing massage, Morning stimulates and wakes up the body.
- Night. The Night program delivers a full-body relaxation massage to promote restful sleep.
- Stretch. Using the chair’s airbags, Stretch twists and pulls the body to provide a deep stretch.
- Energize. Intended to relieve fatigue, Energize uses a combination of massage techniques to refresh the body from the neck to the lower back.
- Shoulder. The Shoulder program uses a combination of massage techniques to relax the muscles on the neck and shoulders.
- Lower Back. Using a combination of massage techniques, Lower Back, relaxes the muscles around the lower back, hips, and buttock
- Quick. A 5-minute program, Quick delivers a speedy treatment to the neck and lower back to relieve tired muscles.
- Music. The Music program synchronizes the massage movements with your musi
Although not technically a program, the Apex AP Pro Regent features a deep spot function that allows you to hold the rollers in place for an additional 30 seconds of targeted treatment to any particularly sore areas.
Manual Options on the Apex AP Pro Regent Massage Chair
- Air massage strength. There are three levels of air massage intensity.
- Massage strength. There are five levels of massage strength.
- Roller massage location. You can choose the area you want the massage rollers to treat, including full back, neck, shoulder, back, lower back, and point.
- Tap. A tap button allows you to add tapping to your massage
- Air massage location. You can select which areas you want the air massagers to treat, including shoulder, arm and hand, leg and foot, and lower back.
- Fine-tuned adjustments. A set of up and down arrows, and narrow and wide buttons allow you to make fine-tuned adjustments to the massage head rollers.
What You Won’t Find on the Apex Ap Pro Regent
NO FOOT ROLLERS
Although the Apex AP Pro Regent massage chair packs a punch when it comes to features, it is missing a very popular one: foot rollers.
Found on many massage chairs, foot rollers deliver a powerful kneading massage to the bottoms of the feet.
The Apex AP Pro Regent does, however, offer a foot massage that uses air massage with nodes that apply pressure to the feet.
NO ZERO GRAVITY
Although the Apex AP Pro Regent allows you to adjust your recline and the ottoman easily, it doesn’t offer the therapeutic Zero Gravity position found on a lot of other massage chairs.
NO EXTENDED L-TRACK
An L-track brings the rollers into the seat of the chair to deliver a kneading massage to the buttocks and thighs. On the Apex AP Pro Regent, the rollers end at the tailbone.
That said, if the Apex AP Pro Regent massage chair did include these features, it would have a much higher price point.
Color Variants of Apex AP Pro Regent Massage Chair
Apex AP Pro Regent Massage Chair Specifications
Chair dimensions (upright)
53"L X 35"W X 49"H
Chair dimensions (reclined)
74"L X 35"W X 37"H
User height range
5'2" to 6'4"
Recommended maximum user weight
Final Thoughts on Apex AP Pro Regent Review
If you’re looking for a massage chair that’s leading the pack in terms of overall massage quality, the Apex AP Pro Regent may be the one for you. With 4D massage, innovative techniques, and meticulous movements the Apex AP Pro Regent delivers a natural-feeling and effective massage. With the addition of heat for the front of the body and the feet, it’s truly a one-of-a-kind model. We hope our Apex AP Pro Regent review gave you a good look at this model and made your decision process a little easier.
Sources and Official Brand Websites
- Apex, Official Brand Website.
- Massage: Get in touch with its many benefits, Mayo Clinic.
- Massage Therapy Styles and Health Benefits, WebMD.
- Can Massage Help Your Back Problem?, Spine-Health.
- What Are the Benefits of Calf Massage, Live Strong.
- Physical & Emotional Benefits of Therapeutic Massage, Massage Envy.